In the moment coaching – right now, right here, right on.
Not all coaching needs to happen formally and off the field. Sometimes you need to coach in the moment. Our In The Moment Coaching innovation allows coaches to act right now, right here and right on point.
With the Soccer World Cup in full swing we’ve all seen coaches pull players aside for a few seconds and talk earnestly into their ear before releasing them back onto the field. What are they doing? We believe it’s the sporting version of Game On’s In the Moment Coaching initiative.
Coaching doesn’t always have to follow a formal pathway. At times you need to pull your player aside, give some quick feedback and coaching and let them return to their jobs poste haste. It’s brief, on the move, on the floor and on point.
In the moment coaching sees coaches in the workplace providing regular coaching to their players without removing the players from the game. We teach our coaches to conduct brief in the moment coaching sessions as follows:
- What – What’s working well
- Performance Gap – What’s the performance gap or area for improvement
- Performance Gap Cause – What’re the obstacles causing this performance gap
- What can be done – How can we overcome the obstacles
- Practice drills – What to do to embed this skill
The coaching conversation can be executed in minutes, following a dialogue such as: